RE: "MicroMilling" as a kind of useful RT approaches

From: Jeffrey Everett (jeffery@iowatelecom.net)
Date: Wed Feb 06 2002 - 20:06:44 EET

Involved as I am with (3 axis) engraving jewelry injection molds (and
designing for RP) I have a great interest in high quality finishes,
especially in cavities. Most of my finish work is with specially ground
cutters sized between .3mmm and .05mm. A couple of problems come up; the
amount of time required for the milling, the surface finish. Regarding time,
using stepovers of .01 to .02mm and accodingly slow table movement makes for
very long cycles! The quality of finish is directly related to cutter
geometry and milling technique and after several years I still am not able
to achieve very smooth finishes. I would be interested in obtaining tiny
ball mills. Thusly, I am most interested in this thread.
Thank you
Jeffrey Everett
Manifest Design