RE: RP with CNC machining

From: Brent Stucker (stucker@uri.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 25 2002 - 21:52:45 EET

We are doing a number of things with RP & CNC Machining. With my Ph.D.
student, Xiuzhi Qu, we have come up with a methodology for finishing
RP-produced parts using CNC code created from STL files. We first add
machining stock to the part before production by RP utilizing a new offset
algorithm and then machine the part to final dimensions based on the
original STL file after RP production. We use a novel approach for creating
tool paths that is not available commercially and results in more efficient
tool paths and sharper feature definition. In addition our routines
recognize drilled holes (such as ejector pin holes) automatically and remove
them from the milling step and automatically creates tool paths for
drilling. This enables you to get CNC finishes on parts and/or tools
quickly. We see this as primarily applicable, at this point in time, to
tooling for injection molding or die casting. However, it can be applied to
any geometry and/or part.

If you have any questions about this, feel free to contact me. We recently
sent our first publication on this out to be refereed. We are following up
with other, more detailed, papers soon.

Brent Stucker
Dr. Brent Stucker, Director & Asst. Professor
Rapid Manufacturing Center
University of Rhode Island
Dept. of Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering
Gilbreth Hall, 2 East Alumni Ave.
Kingston, RI 02881
ph: (401)874-5187
fax: (401)874-5540