forwarded message

From: Rapid Dude (rp-adm@rapid.lpt.fi)
Date: Thu Jan 24 2002 - 10:18:03 EET

Oops, sorry Ian - this one got stucked, and needed a lil' push to get to
the list.

//RD

Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 09:58:31 +0800
To: rp-ml@rapid.lpt.fi
From: Ian Gibson <igibson@hkucc.hku.hk>
Subject: Porn & spam

The trouble with moderation is.......time delays.

If we require the moderator to screen every mailing then it would be very
time consuming for him. Don't forget that this is a free service that
relies on the good will of Rapid Dude, etc. for it to continue. I subscribe
to some moderated lists and some times it is nearly a week before the
message gets through, depending how busy the moderator is.

I suppose there is anti-spam and porn screening software available, but I
guess it also takes time and money. We discussed having a fee and shifting
the list to a more public site. Both of those received the thumbs down.

There is probably no need for rules. We all know what the rules should be.
It's the execution that is the problem. So my guess is, we just have to
take the bathwater with the baby.

IG

Dr. Ian Gibson
Department of Mechanical Engineering
The University of Hong Kong
+852 2859 7901 (O)
+852 2858 5415 (F)
+852 2817 1784 (H)
+852 9873 8281 (M)

I've been here and I've been there and I've been in between.