Re: Mass Customization

From: Brock Hinzmann (bhinzmann@sric-bi.com)
Date: Sat Jan 05 2002 - 04:26:17 EET

I should say that I wrote previously about the jewelry market without having any real knowledge of it. I can guess only by looking at the mass of advertising that goes into selling jewelry and the huge displays at department stores and even very expensive boutiques, where the selection looks amazing the same and boring. I have no idea if that is where the true volume is. I am also a very poor judge of quality of stones and settings of standard jewelry.

When I buy jewelry as gifts (I don't wear any myself), I tend to buy relatively inexpensive, but handcrafted items at local stores or stands or museums in the places I visit when I travel. It's not custom, but I like to think it has some uniqueness to it, at least in place and time. Some people feel that way about their cars, too.

When I looked at RP and art a few years ago, I was intrigued by the possibilities. Some of the artists were designing objects to be worn on the body that might be called jewelry or might be called something else altogether. I think it was Kimberly Voigt who called her jewelry Body Landscaping. I imagined that, eventually, as the cost of RP came down and the diversity of materials increased, people could consume large volumes of such fashion accessories on a regular basis, where the RP technology became the manufacturing technology. By having your body geometry on file with the virtual jeweler/accessory provider, you could match colors and shapes in a customized fashion very quickly. Gemstones might become re-usable, as fashions changed.
I was also intrigued by the notion of taking it to another extreme, at least it seemed so at the time, where RP&M could be used to produce fashionable custom body armor. That notion was touched off by a fashion design contest in India, where two of the four top prizes went to people who had included body armor in their designs. It was kind of strange that the drawings depicted models with armored gauntlets on their forearms, but who wore very little else for clothing. Still, it was the idea that was interesting. It should also have been a clue as to their expectations about life in India.

Brock Hinzmann