Pervasive Computing Environments

From: Brock Hinzmann (bhinzmann@sric-bi.com)
Date: Fri Jan 04 2002 - 20:31:49 EET

Larry's complaint is a common one. In the current computing world, we are
all obligated to conform ourselves to computers and to learn to be
computer experts. Some people are already opting out. Some other people are
demanding a future in which the computers conform to us. That means
recognizing who we are, remembering our preferences, being proactive in
anticipating our needs, and being capable of making decisions to serve those needs or
to remind us to do something we need to do. Some of that technology is
here today, but it will require a lot more AI and privacy protection than we
have today.

But if it happens, the implications for RP&M could be profound. If I get
in a car wreck, the system will know immediately that I've been in a crash
and which part of the car is damaged. It might ask me if I want to
replace that part automatically, change the design of that part while I'm at it,
forget it, junk the car and get a new car, or wait to make a decision
(until I get out of the hospital). If it knows I've been injured, it will
know which parts.... and it will remind the house robot that I won't be home
and to feed and walk the dog.

Brock Hinzmann
Technology Navigator