RE: Experience Mass Customization

From: Rafael Santillan (rsanti@3drapid.com)
Date: Thu Jan 03 2002 - 21:30:25 EET

Steven and all.

Last year after finishing some prototypes for the shoe industry, I got the Idea
of the perfect shoes custom made, so I spend several hours with a designer
creating my perfect shoes, very comfortables and beautiful shape (foot like
geometry) I was starting to think in the name of the new brand of shoes.
Once we finished the desing in a CAD package for speed we just printed several
views of the shoes and I asked a local shoe maker to manufacture them. I
recall his face gesture asking me; are you sure this is what you want ? and I
answered very cofident YES!, this shoes are created considering not just the
real geometry of the foot but considers comfortable movements and the
external shape was in my beleiving something NEW which may be according to new
fashion.

To make the story short, after 2 weeks of waiting and some colabaration with
him, I got my brand new pair of shoes custom made. Unfortunately the rest of
the people (including my wife) din not agree at all with my new fashion, and I
got all kind of critisism about the shape of the shoes, and it was not all. I
would have ignored all of them but my shoes werent as comfortables as I
tought they should be (something I still do not understand since they have the
exact geometry of my foot made of soft impact absorbing material!!.

So summarizing my experience I think the proffesional fashion designers has
something I do not have, and it may have someting to do with the paradigms and
the way they change them slowly , or may be the marketing support behing new
designs, etc, etc, I do not know, but something I learned was that next time I
want a new pair of shoes, I rather go to the shop (which is the cheapest way by
the way) to select among thousands the once I like for shape and comfort than
trying to get into a field with innovative Ideas where I have not experience
nor knowledge but only an Idea that once became real may be differente of what
I expected.

I am sure there are other fields where mass customization will have a different
story (a successful one)where some people from different perspectives have
broken old paradigms and created great ideas, but for the most of the cases
something we have to admit is that we better listen the advice of expert from
the field where we beleive we can innovate something before going ahead.

best regards and my best whishes to all in this challenging new year.

An apology for my bad English spelling and grammar since it is not my motherīs
tongue.

* Dr. Rafael Santillan, Phone: 52-442-2226774 *
* Director 3D RAPID Fax: 52-442-2226774 *
* Mobile: 52-442-2366015 *
* Email: rsanti@3drapid.com *
* MOVIL Email: rsanti@movilaccess.com *
* *
* Address: Priv. Martin Carrera 105, *
* Colonia Presidentes *
* City: Queretaro,Qro. MEXICO. Zip. 76080 *
* WEB: http://www.3drapid.com *

Este e-mail fue enviado con el servicio IMP de : mail.ciateq.mx