Re: look used equipment

From: ken@cammatic.com
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 16:34:58 EET

Jeevan,

Thanks for taking a look. I hope the following information helps, for more
details you can see our web site at www.cammatic.com. CAMmatic has a
software product called RPworks that reads in an STL solid model, splits
that solid into a series of surfaces and then creates toolpaths for each
surface. For instance, if you wanted to make a ball, RPworks would read in
the ball file, split it into a top half and a bottom half and then generate
a toolpath for each half. To make the ball you would then put our frame on
your CNC machine (it is just an open face mold as shown on the Products page
of our web site) and pour our special low melting temperature metal into the
box. The metal would solidify rapidly (with near zero shrinkage due to the
special composition) and then you could run the first tool path. This would
create a mold. Then pour in one of our construction materials (either
polyurethane or aluminum filled urethane). These material harden rapidly and
then run the second toolpath (carving out the top of the ball) and thereby
create a ball. To remove the mold metal just place the entire part in a hot
water bath and the metal melts and sinks to the bottom and can be reused. A
more complicated part (like a hollow airfoil) can be made by repeating the
steps (this is calculated automatically by the RPworks software).

Now, to answer your questions specifically;

> 1. Do i need some upgrading of CNC machine to use it as an RP machine

You shouldn't, all you need is our RPworks software, the deposition stage
and the raw materials. Your machine probably already reads standard
Gcode.Our Gcode output is VERY basic with no circular interpolation (only G0
and G1 commands) so that it will run almost any machine. Your machine should
read it just fine but we can also write a customized post if we need to.

> 2. Does the technology builds the part using deposition like RP?

Similar, as described above we deposit material by hand and then remove
material with the CNC. The biggest difference is that we work in entire 3D
surfaces instead of thin layers, so a part has only a few depositions
instead of a great many.

> 3. Does the technolgy combines the functionalities of both RP machine and
> CNC machine,i.e. can i use it to machine the part provided i have the
> G-code?

Right, our entire focus has been on making CNC compete with RP. CAMmatic
gives you the ability to perform RP on a standard milling machine without
requiring you to buy expensive dedicated equipment.

> 4. Does the RPworks s/w work as Delcam PowerMill software which gives
> Gcode when .stl file is inputted?

I don't know exactly how PowerMill works so I can't give you an exact
answer, the output format may be the same but the biggest difference is that
RPworks gives you the ability to do RP, with overhangs and hollows and etc.
Also, RPworks automates the decision making so that you don't even have to
conceptualize the geometry you are making.

> I saw your web site and peruse through the material.I want to get
> clear some doubts.
> 1. Do i need some upgrading of CNC machine to use it as an RP machine
>
> 2. Does the technology builds the part using deposition like RP?
>
> 3. Does the technolgy combines the functionalities of both RP machine and
> CNC machine,i.e. can i use it to machine the part provided i have the
> G-code?
>
> 4. Does the RPworks s/w work as Delcam PowerMill software which gives
> Gcode when .stl file is inputted?
>
> I would be happy if you can clear my doubts.
>
> Jeevan
>

> > Mark,
> >
> > I saw your note about looking for an RP machine. If you have an
existing CNC milling machine CAMmatic can give you RP capability without
requiring you to buy expensive RP equipment. If you do not already have a
milling machine then consider the costs and reliability of RP equipment
versus using our technology and buying a milling machine. Please see our web
site for a description of the RPworks software and CAMmatic's unique
approach to RP.