Re: SLS parts for my old car

From: Markus Hitter (mah@jump-ing.de)
Date: Thu Sep 27 2001 - 23:31:14 EEST

Am Donnerstag, 27. September 2001 um 21:15 schrieb RP Scott:

> Anyone know how I can make my SLS DuraformPA parts water tight
> and in some cases, chemically resistant.
>
> Say for instance I want to make myself a new float for the carburettor.
> That sucker's going to be sitting in gasoline all the time.
>
> Or maybe a reservoir that would have to hold brake fluid.

I'd use the RP part as a pattern for a silicone mold, then fill
this mold with an epoxy resin which qualifies. Often, you won't
even need a RP pattern as you can use the original part as a
pattern. Using the right process temperature you can avoid all
shrinkage. You can easily add some short glass fibers; resins
resistant to more than 140 deg. Celsius are available. Epoxy is
resistant to most usual chemicals.

The best: you can easily produce a few more parts for stock and
for your friends.

Of course, don't start with a highly security relevant part like
a brake fluid reservoir.

Cheers,
Markus Hitter

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter