RE: Laser upgrade of SLA-500

From: Bibb, Richard (PDR) (RBibb-pdr@uwic.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 17:33:23 EEST

Dear Chang and List,

We have an SLA 500 which has been upgraded to a Solid state laser and these
are our findings.

The laser we have in place is from DPSS, although apparently there is an
alternative available from Coherent which may be better.

Installation is easy.

Reliability takes time to establish. We have found that the lasers are not
burn out tested before supply therefore if the laser is no good you won't
know until you've had it running on the machine. However once you do get a
good one they are very reliable. We got a good one on our fourth try.

Running costs are very low.

Our upgrade was provided by Sibco and you may want to talk to them about it
in more detail.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask more detailed questions off list.

regards,
Richard
___________________________________
Dr. Richard Bibb