RE: Thermal degradation of polymers?

From: Neil Hopkinson (nhopkins@dmu.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Aug 01 2001 - 11:34:40 EEST

Mick,
I have experienced no problems with extended dwell time using polypropylene
in direct AIM tooling although I normally purge a little prior to each shot
and I haven't performed any materials testing. When using materials such as
ABS, Nylon, glass filled nylon and PEEK it is necessary to purge some
material prior to injection in SL tools.

People who you might want to try include:
Russ Harris here at De Montfort University who has looked at shrinkage.
Joel Segal at Nottingham University who is looking at moulded material
properties.
Kent Dawson (still?) at Georgia Tech who has looked at moulded material
properties.

Regards
Neil