Alumilite

From: Dick Edwards (dick@gemvision.com)
Date: Wed May 23 2001 - 18:23:48 EEST

Hello list,

We are in search of a material which we are told is called Alumilite. We have a very small (9/32" X 5/16" X 1/2") sample which is much lighter than aluminum and silver/gray in color. It is a plastic like material which we are told comes in the form of rectangular bar stock. While it is definitely not aluminum it does appear to contain very fine aluminum particles similar to those found in metallic paints.

We are told it machines very well (quickly) and can be used as a mold material for the injection molding of wax and plastic for the investment casting of jewelry.

We found a company called Alumilite Corp., located in Kalamazoo, MI, however their products are two part casting resins and they have no knowledge of the material we are looking for.

Any help or suggestions offered will be most appreciated.

Best regards,

Dick Edwards - Project Engineer
GemVision Corporation
706 E. River Drive