Making a single STL file from Multiple parts.

From: RP Solutions (rps@dircon.co.uk)
Date: Fri May 18 2001 - 19:14:59 EEST

Hi all,

I have a customer that wants to prototype an assembly as a single part, what the customer wants is to see the assembly as a single object, just exterior shape.

The customer has all the component parts as STL files(200 pcs) but they cannot merge them together to create a single STL file of the exterior shape.

Is there some software that will merge the STL data to create a single STL of the exterior shape? I know I can slice up the component in Quickslice and edit out each curve to create the exterior but this takes a long time.

The customer has tried to merge the files in ProE without sucess, would a point cloud or polygon manipulating software get me the external shape I want?

Thanks in advance

Oliver Cole
Technical Director

RP Solutions