Re: sanders wax

From: Catherine Minich (ceminich@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon May 14 2001 - 00:27:05 EEST

There's a thought. Do you know where to find it?

To Steven's question. We were using the oil to create a barrier between the water in the investment and the model. I'm told that water is not particularily friendy to the wax. We did some experimentation with dusting the models in dry investment prior to pouring the slurry. This worked very well for the blistering and flashing but left an unacceptable texture.

Although this is not part of the reason that I was given, I think that when my SB ships the parts with a light oil coating, they are less brittle. It may be my imagination, but it seems that the waxes become more brittle if they are subject to changes in environmental conditions (ie. air conditioning to humid outdoors to air conditioning). Has anyone else had this experience?

-Cate Minich