Re: Investment casting

From: Bathsheba Grossman (sheba@protoshape.com)
Date: Fri May 11 2001 - 22:25:57 EEST

On Fri, 11 May 2001, Ola Harrysson wrote:
> I would like to know what type of equipment is needed to do investment
> casting from RP-patterns in a university laboratory setting. I have access
> to a furnace suitable for investment casting and I have access to
> RP-patterns but what else do I need?

I'd say, you need access to an experienced foundryman. Casting is
hard to learn out of a cookbook, and what you need depends on what
exactly you want to do. What metals do you want to cast? How big? I
mean, in principle you can start out with a sack of investment and a
small burnout kiln, only a few hundred bucks.

> How much does the equipment cost and how much is it for the
> material? I hope someone has an answer for these questions.

Materials are cheap compared to equipment, and equipment is cheap
compared to labor and expertise.

-Sheba
Bathsheba Grossman (831) 429-8224
Creative prototyping www.protoshape.com