Re: End of service / changing the rp-ml

From: Delft Spline Systems (info@spline.nl)
Date: Thu Apr 26 2001 - 23:05:52 EEST

Dear all,

It was foreseeable than Hannu's email would generate a
lot of list-traffic. What I had not foreseen is the current major
discussion topic: how to administer the list cheaper than the
proposed USD 2000 a year.

My question to these contributors is to reconsider (or, in
other words: SHAME ON YOU !!). Observing the effort that
it has taken over the past years to keep this list up and alive,
and Hannu's patience in solving all types of errors, in my
opinion this is a very low offer already. Most of it will just
be the actual cost of the Internet server and traffic, without
much left as financial thanks for the time spent.

Do realize that much effort is asked from an administrator to
keep the list up, be thankful that the list has a realiable one,
and do not give this up for an uncertain future to save this
low contribution (we are in fact talking about ca 1 USD per
'member' per year)

Hannu, thanks again, and I am sure that most members will
indeed realise the value of your work. I do hope that we can
find a possibility to fund you and thus keep you involved.

Remains of course the practical problem that it does not
make sense to let everyone pay 1 dollar a year, let alone to
administer this. However I am sure that it is possible to find
20 heavy users who (like Terry proposed) are willing to
contribute USD 100 each, or perhaps 40 for USD 50 ...
Please dicuss so in Cincinatty.

I won't be there, but you can count me in to contribute from
my promotional budget. The promotion of course being to keep
telling all your additive RP-ers that subtractive is great
for RP as well ;-)

Best regards,

Lex Lennings.

Delft Spline Systems, The Netherlands.
We offer DeskProto: affordable Rapid Prototyping using CNC milling

Mailto:info@spline.nl Website: http://www.deskproto.com