RE: RP ceramic cores

From: Brent Stucker (stucker@uri.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 23 2001 - 16:24:09 EEST

Jim,

We have processed "zircon flour" regularly in our SLS machine. This is a
mixture of zirconia and silica and we hold it together with a thermosetting
binder. We can infiltrate it with a high-temperature epoxy if needed. It
has been used as a ceramic core for casting purposes in the past, as well as
for prototyping and testing components that were designed to be made from
ceramics (such as electrical switch housings). If you are interested, let
me know.

Brent Stucker
Dr. Brent Stucker, Director & Asst. Professor
Rapid Manufacturing Center
University of Rhode Island
Dept. of Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering
Gilbreth Hall, 2 East Alumni Ave.
Kingston, RI 02881
ph: (401)874-5187
fax: (401)874-5540