Scanning an aircraft

From: wlfoss@collins.rockwell.com
Date: Mon Apr 02 2001 - 23:21:36 EEST

Hi everyone,

We have a project where we need to get 3D data of an aircrafts surface in
specific, small areas. Our intent is to plaster cast the surfaces and then
have them laser scanned for CAD use. Works great on the top facing
surfaces, but gravity is working against us in the down facing surfaces. We
have considered laser scanning the aircraft itself, but this requires a
steady, stationary structure to be built because some of these surfaces are
quite high off the ground. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how we
can take castings of these surfaces or scan them directly off the aircraft?

Thanks,

Wayne Foss
Materials & Process Engineer
Rockwell Collins, Inc.