RE: scale and warpage of sls

From: Miller, Michael W (Mike.Miller3@PSS.Boeing.com)
Date: Mon Apr 02 2001 - 18:51:41 EEST

My feeling is that the "curl" effect is a basic function of the process. As mentioned in earlier responses, adding heat and subsequent cooling causes the deformation. Short vectors would help this but DTM has never offered anything other than the basic raster scan. I suggested to them years ago that perhaps wiggling the Y mirror to produce a zig-zag on the part would help alleviate curl without stepping on 3D's toes. I'm sure there must be other possibilities.

        1) I agree shelling the part will likely help a lot.... although there will be loss of properties. Hence my comment regarding the outline function utilizing a lower level sinter of the interior. My experience with the 2000 is that it's slow (not true on the 2500's I hear) and that it unreliable... ie crashes often. What about the 2500's? Are they reliable when using outline?
        2) Rotating and low laser/high part bed temp helps.
        3) I presume 2500/+ will only benefit through the improved scanning.
        4) My parts are curling both top and bottom so I believe the middle of the part is curled also.
        5) I've never noticed that letting the part cool over a weekend helps compared to overnight.

I would like to know what "bell and whistles" are on the 2500's. Are they really that much more accurate?

Thanks for all the great responses!

Disclaimer: Engineer and out the other!
Experience is something you get right after you need it.
Michael W Miller (michael.w.miller@boeing.com)
The Boeing Company M/C 17-PE B-2T65
Propulsion Experimental Hardware 206-655-3289
Rapid Prototyping 655-4366 Lab 655-4365