RE: thermojet parts finishing

From: Bathsheba Grossman (sheba@protoshape.com)
Date: Wed Mar 28 2001 - 05:20:54 EEST

On Tue, 27 Mar 2001, Joe Allison wrote:
> What about the build speed. The equipment from SPI always had a reputation
> for being very sloooooow.

Justly so. The build envelope bears very little relation to what can
actually be done with this machine: almost any part that would fill
substantial portion of it would take months to build. I once made a
5" x 8" part, but it was only 3/8" tall, and it took four days.

The MMII has thinner layers, and therefore can print more detail than
the Thermojet. For parts with undercuts, the MMII's soluble supports
are much better than the Thermojet's 'hair' supports.

But I wouldn't say that the two were comparable machines at all. The
MMII is good for small parts with lots of detail and/or undercuts,
while the Thermojet is good for bigger parts with less detail and
little undercutting.

I can't speak on which is more expensive to own.

-Sheba
Bathsheba Grossman (831) 429-8224
Creative prototyping www.protoshape.com
Microsculpture microsculpture.com