Re: Question of the Month

From: Chuck Ditchendorf (chuck@dhbrown.com)
Date: Thu Mar 15 2001 - 17:33:53 EET

I had passed the CAD file Translation Question to my colleague for his
thoughts (our business is to help user companies and vendors solve issues
like this and keep track of technical progress in the marketplace). This
is
in addition to Paul Finelt's excellent comments on the subject. For the
record,
Ken was the first person to describe "NURBS" as part of his dissertation.

Chuck Ditchendorf
D.H. Brown Associates

In answer to:
How can you overcome the problem of CAD file translation, which is
currently inhibiting rapid product development?

Additional pain relief will be available soon with new product offerings
from both Proficiency, Inc. and Translation Technologies, Inc. Both
companies will be providing data exchange tools in 2001 that will set the
industry on its head, breaking through the myth that parametric,
feature-based solid models can never be exchanged - they demonstrate they
can! Although initially limited to high-end CAD, over time look for them to
support additional CAD products in the mid-Range, and force all the CAD
vendors into a new round of openness. However, exchange problems will
remain in some cases of geometric connectivity - matching vertices and
edges - due to the inherently different tolerances used by the geometric
algorithms at the core of different CAD modeling products. Arm yourself
with so-called Healing software for such occurrences.
- Ken Versprille, Ph.D
  Research Director
  D.H. Brown Associates, Inc.

Ken