Re: gray scale recognitaion?

From: Delft Spline Systems (info@spline.nl)
Date: Thu Mar 15 2001 - 10:30:10 EET

At 01:33 PM 14/03/2001, Carl Dekker wrote:
>I have a client looking for someone who can do the creation of a 3d file
>from a photo of a persons face. They would be looking to take the file
>and make a part from it, possibly via Vacuum forming.
>I remember a thread regarding these applications some time ago but could
>not find anything in the archives. Any help would be appreciated.

Dear Carl,

The free download that was discussed can be found at:
http://www.puffindesigns.com/support/downloads.html
Goto Knoll Cybermesh (do not mind the remark that it is a Photoshop
plug-in: a Windows version is included).

Cybermesh converts grey values in any B&W bitmap file to heights,
thus converting 2D photo's to 3D geometry. Output can be done as
DXF polygon mesh. Do not expect 'real life' faces though: imagine
for instance the difference between a white man with a black beard and
a black man with a white beard.

The resulting polygon meshes can be machined very well
using DeskProto !

Best Regards,

Lex Lennings.

Delft Spline Systems, The Netherlands.
We offer DeskProto: affordable Rapid Prototyping using CNC milling.

mailto:info@spline.nl --- website: http://www.deskproto.com