RE: vibration and SLA

From: Brand Allen-EAB009 (Allen.Brand@motorola.com)
Date: Thu Mar 01 2001 - 23:35:05 EET

Hey Jeff,

I have had our sla equipment within 70ft. of a vibration table for over six(6) years now. I have not had any sla quality issues/failures that I would associate with the table. I'm pretty sure that this is a standard piece of hardware, though not being sure, I want to point out that our vibration table has four(4) rubber, air-filled boots isolating it from the floor. I have paid close attention to the surface of the resin in our sla vats when our vibration table is in operation. I have concluded that the only adverse movement or ripples detected are inherent vibrations of the sla machine's own hardware and none associated with our vibration table.

Of course specifications of the vibration table are significant. Our table is rated at 4,000lbs of force and a velocity of 45ips.

There are three metal framed, standard sheetrock walls separating the vibration table from the sla lab. Percussion waves generated by the vibration table are an important factor I'm sure. A crucial consideration may be the absorption and insulating characteristics these walls provide.

I have heard mention of actually cutting out a perimeter of concrete foundation from around the vibration table and replacing it with some sort of rubbery, RTV like material. Of course the intent here is to prevent vibrations from resonating through the foundation. I personally think that this is an overkill.

Anyway, this has been my experience. I would be interested in knowing any experiences contrary to mine.

Regards,

Allen W. Brand, Sr.
Technical Supervisor / Lab Manager
Motorola Energy Systems Group