Re: Supports in lightyear

From: Mark Wynn (mwynn@yazaki-na.com)
Date: Tue Feb 06 2001 - 15:14:59 EET

Hi Karl,

You should be able to select "edit machine properties" or "machine setup wizard" and change the extents to
20.25" or 20.5" in the X and Y axis. This should allow you to bring in your geometry and support it. Keep in
mind that the supports that are generated might have cross members that extend into a negative quadrant....
so you might have to edit them before slicing.
I am not sure about the SLA-500... we have an SLA-5000... but our build platforms are 20.5 inches in both
the X and Y axis (actual measurement). We actually leave our platform configuration setup with these
values.
We have also noticed that if a geometry is oversized and extends towards the rear of the platform that
the recoater blade (in the rear position) can sometimes interfere with the drawing of the part. We overcome
this problem by reorientating the part if possible (so that it extends off of the sides of the platform) or we
apply 2 sweeps (this will ensure that the recoater blade is never parked in the rear position).
But again this is with our SLA-5000... I am not sure if this is a problem with the SLA-500.

Hope this helps.

Mark Wynn
Yazaki North America Inc.
Canton, Michigan
Phone: 734-983-1702
Fax: 734-983-1703
E-mail: mwynn@yazaki-na.com

>>> <KDenton@williams-int.com> 02/05/01 04:47PM >>>
Hello all,

I have a part that is bigger then the platform of an SLA500 by ¼" and need
to support it. LightYear refuses to do that because the part is larger then
the platform. Any suggestions? I do not want to split the part so refrain
from giving that suggestion.

Karl

This email message and any attachment(s) are for the sole use of the
intended recipient(s) and may contain proprietary and/or confidential
information which may be privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.
Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If
you are not the intended recipient(s), please contact the sender by reply
email and destroy the original message and any copies of the message as well
as any attachment(s) to the original message.