Re: Block of modeling foam?

From: Delft Spline Systems (info@spline.nl)
Date: Sun Feb 04 2001 - 14:15:55 EET

At Saturday 02/03/2001 , Marshall Burns wrote:

    I need a few blocks of modeling foam, about 12 x 12 x 24 inches each. Should be light enough density for an unskilled model maker to carve easily. I've tried all kinds of commercial and industrial foam distributors, but I haven't found the right stuff. But I know it's out there. Obviously I just haven't found the right sources.

Hi Marshall,

Here are a few large US based sources for this type of material.
I think you have to look for Poly URethane foams (PUR), however
they might offer suitable alternatives as well. Do ask them what would
be the best density for amateur hand carving.
More sources can be found on the links list that we maintain on
www.deskproto.com   (check the Material page in the Links menu).

http://www.freemansupply.com/
http://www.bjbenterprises.com/
http://www.wplindustries.com/

     Those of you who have seen my recent "Atoms from Bits" presentation may recognize that this is for the part of my talk where I let audience volunteers demonstrate the meaning of subtractive, additive, and formative fabrication.

I never actually attended to this presentation, however the idea is great.
The audience will never again forget the difference between these three
fundamental fabrication technologies.
Keep up the good work.

Best regards,

Lex Lennings.

Delft Spline Systems,  The Netherlands.
We offer DeskProto: affordable Rapid Prototyping using CNC milling
Mailto:info@spline.nl                Website: http://www.deskproto.com