Re: rp definition

From: Marshall Burns (Marshall@Ennex.com)
Date: Sat Feb 03 2001 - 05:13:07 EET

> We lump CNC and EDM in with all the others in our Rapid Manufacturing
> marketplace. If you really want to distinguish SLA, SLS, FDM, etc. from
> CNC, you really need to change the name from Rapid Prototyping to Additive
> Prototyping or even Fabbing. Right, Marshall?

Right, Jeff!

    Actually, I've always included CNC machining among the basic methods of
automated fabrication, and distinguish SLA, SLS, etc. as the *additive*
processes. On our "What is a Fabber?" page
(http://www.ennex.com/fabbers/fabbers.sht), you'll find CNC and EDM right up
there with the others. The additive technologies are cool, but people need
to use the right technology for their applications. Future fabbers will
combine additive, subtractive, formative, as well as ancillary 2-D and 1-D
processes to achieve the full potential of digital manufacturing.

Best regards,
Marshall Burns
President, Ennex Corporation

Marshall@Ennex.com