RE: rp definition

From: Jeff Katz (jeffk@protomarket.com)
Date: Fri Feb 02 2001 - 23:09:06 EET

What's wrong with using CNC machining to do "Rapid Prototyping?" In some
cases, depending on material and finish level, CNC machining is actually
more "rapid" then RP. If the question is how do you rapidly produce parts
directly from 3D CAD data, CNC should logically be included in the
classification, otherwise it's an arbitrary distinction.

We lump CNC and EDM in with all the others in our Rapid Manufacturing
marketplace. If you really want to distinguish SLA, SLS, FDM, etc. from
CNC, you really need to change the name from Rapid Prototyping to Additive
Prototyping or even Fabbing. Right, Marshall?

Jeff Katz
President/CEO
773.477.7374 x203
www.ProtoMarket.com