Re: Surface data of a Cow

From: Nick Osborn (Nick.Osborn@swiftech.co.uk)
Date: Fri Dec 22 2000 - 10:26:58 EET

I'm sorry, Brandon, but this made me laugh out loud for a full minute...she wants to to give her boss a machined model of a COW? There is obviously an important sub-text going on here which we mortals are unaware of. I can't wait to see what her boss gets at Easter....

Seriously though, now I have calmed down a bit, you have a number of options:

1. Contact Brock Rooney (see archives for contact details) for evaluation copy of STL to IGES translator. Brock could possibly also advise on adjusting the tolerancing / faceting on your STL file to make it more acceptable.

2. Use one of the many machining packages that can work straight from STL files (some have a smoothing routine built-in as I understand it - try Chris Lawrie of Delcam as your first point of contact - see archives as above).

3. To handle that tricky udder area, maybe consider building an RP version (in glorious technicolour, of course, as we all know this is now available for RP parts - or maybe it is a Freisan, in which case black & white would do?). As I'm sure you are aware, the horns would also need careful handling...

Can't help thinking this would make a great test piece for RP systems (certainly more interesting than the usual geometric irrelevances that tend to get generated to show one particular platform in the best light...)

Hope this helps - in the meantime have a great Xmas and happy Moo Year (sorry, just couldn't resist..!)

Nick

>>> "Brandon Jacobsen" <brandonj@eagledesign.com> 22/12/00 06:04:11 >>>
Can anyone help me? I have a customer who would like the surface data of a
cow. I have a STL file, but an IGES file would be nice. She wants to
machine the part, and give it as a gift to her boss. Any help would be
appreciated.

Thank you, and Happy Holidays!
Brandon R. Jacobsen
Sales Engineer