Fwd: Re: RP is cool - it's official!

From: Elaine Hunt (ehunt@ces.clemson.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 18 2000 - 18:10:15 EET

> I put a post up a couple of weeks ago about Rapid Freeze Prototyping (RFP).
> I thought this would be the best place to find out about this new
> technology, but got no response. No one has heard of RFP?

I posted this abstract way back in 1998.........surprised you did not find
it in the RPML archives.

Research on refrigerative stereo-lithography
Author(s): Murakami, Tamotsu; Kamimura, Akiya; Kazama, Atsushi; Nakajima,
Naomasa
Source: Nippon Kikai Gakkai Ronbunshu, C Hen/Transactions of the Japan
Society of Mechanical Engineers, Part C v 63 n 606 Feb 1997 JSME Tokyo
Japan p 605-612 ISSN: 0387-5024 CODEN: NKCHDB
Publication Year: 1997
Abstract: Since in current stereo-lithography an object is fabricated in
liquid resin, use of a 'support' shape other than an
objective shape is required so that isolated portions of the objective
shape do not float away and overhang portions do not curve in the liquid
resin. The necessity of designing supports before and removing them after
fabrication restricts the range of fabricatable shapes as well as requires
time and effort. To solve these problems, we propose use of refrigerative
stereo-lithography. In its process, liquid resin supplied as a layer is
cooled and solidified. Then a laser beam is used for selective
photopolymerization of the resin layer. After iteration of this process for
all layers, the fabricated object can be obtained by heating the entire
solidified resin block to melt and remove only nonphotopolymerized
portions. Since the object is fabricated in already solidified resin, there
is no need for supports. We also describe the refrigerative
stereo-lithography machine developed and a fabricated example. In Japanese

Opinions, suggestions, and other controversial matter VOID where prohibited.

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you
end up
being governed by your inferiors." -Plato

Elaine T. Hunt, Director elaine.hunt@ces.clemson.edu
Laboratory to Advance Industrial Prototyping
Clemson University 206 Fluor Daniel Bldg.
Clemson, SC 29634-0925
864-656-0321 (voice) 864-656-4435 (fax)
http://www.vr.clemson.edu/credo/persall/persall.html
http://www.vr.clemson.edu/rp/