Re: RP is cool - it's official!

From: EdGrenda@aol.com
Date: Thu Dec 07 2000 - 00:58:44 EET

In a message dated 00-12-06 17:25:05 EST, DJeatran@stratasys.com writes:

<< RP is cool, literally!

 I put a post up a couple of weeks ago about Rapid Freeze Prototyping (RFP).

 I saw a short paragraph about it on page 18 of this month's Popular
 Mechanics about this new faster process being researched.

 I thought this would be the best place to find out about this new
 technology, but got no response. No one has heard of RFP?

Hi Dave:

The technique has been around for several years and I'm certain you can find
papers on it if you search our bibliography. I wasn't aware of the group in
the US you mentioned, but there's another one at Univ of Tokyo that has been
pursuing this for some time. Look in our University directory for a direct
link to their lab. I vaguely recall a patent or 2 in this area, as well.
Please see the web address for the Worldwide Guide to RP below my signature
for our home page.

Last time I looked at the U of Tokyo web page, results were incomplete and
some of the material was in Japanese. Purported advantages are inherent
support structure and possibly higher stability and accuracy, but there are
also some minuses such as the need for refrigeration, special resins, slower
reaction times, etc.

Do let us know if you find this frozen stuff is getting hot.

Best regards,
Ed

Ed Grenda
Castle Island Co.