Re: What's in a......?

From: Marshall Burns (Marshall@Ennex.com)
Date: Sat Nov 18 2000 - 08:54:38 EET

Hey Brock, don't give up yer day job!
;-)

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Brock Hinzmann
  To: RPML (E-mail) ; Peter Blacklin
  Sent: Friday, November 17, 2000 19:00
  Subject: Re: What's in a......?

  Arriving late to this conversation
  Perhaps I can entertain you
  By relating some belated
  Names of RP venues.

  It's probably worth repeating
  That in the beginning they were all competing
  To be the name to beat
  But most went down in defeat

  Desktop manufacturing, DTM
  Was more than a Texas acronym
  But also the name of the whole category
  According to one publisher's story

  Battelle's Photochemical Machining
  Gave intersecting lasers a meaning
  Shining into a solid block of goop
  But it couldn't compete with SOUP

  The Quadrax Laser Modeler
  Fought the battle, then lost 'er
  Attempting to slay the SLA
  Just wasn't worth what it cost 'er

  The D-MEC Solid Creation System
  Got a few people to listen
  And SOMOS Solid Imaging System
  Sort of describes the intention

  Solid Freeform Fabrication
  Was an early nom de tool
  And I liked Photo-Optic Object Fabrication
  For the occasional April fool

  We once held an election and all had a vote
  Rapid Prototyping won without a hand tote
  But Holoformers got the kind of support
  That Ralph Nader could promote

  Describing something as two-and-a-half-D
  Is too much to describe to my mother-in-law for me
  I'd prefer to say it prints in 3-D
  Even though it still prints in layers, technically

  Sculpter and Builder names sound great
  And Nanomolecular Assemblers await
  And this time of year I like to say
  The Santa Claus Machine is on its way

  For all you Automated Fabricator haters
  The term will die out sooner or later
  And since Marshall won't change his mind
  Why don't you just lighten up and be kind

  If you were wondering how I would end this matter
  Sitting there at your proverbial work bench
  It is to tell Mike Doty that spanner
  Is the British word for wrench.

  Best regards,
  Brock Hinzmann