RE: What's in a dimension?

From: Anshuman Razdan (razdan@asu.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 15 2000 - 20:16:52 EET

Marshall
        I agree with you. I think fabrication would evolve to be more than mere
tools for the traditional manufacturing industries. An analog is 3D and CAD.
CAD tools pioneered 3D and now 3D world is heavily dominated by Animation
and hollywood. Without being judgemental on that --- I saw hardly any
traditional CAD tools vendor at SIGGRAPH last year which used to be the case
in years before. I think its a good thing... the evolution process that is,
since it brings in horizontal players into the field that pushes the
vertical reserach in the discipline. Example -- manufacturing has always
been happy with 2 1/2D prismatic solids for the most part. Free form
surfaces wouldnt have gained in popularity if not pushed from other uses. I
can also say there is a parallal in evolution of the internet but I am sure
I will get flamed for using the well tread internet example.

AR