What's in a dimension?

From: Marshall Burns (Marshall@Ennex.com)
Date: Wed Nov 15 2000 - 19:35:51 EET

Anshuman,

    That's a worthwhile point. All of today's commercial additive fabbers
are in the category of *flat-layer additive fabrication.* Some of these
processes, such as Stratasys' extrusion method and the newer laser
deposition techniques, have the potential to work in a more general context,
not limited to layered structures. The really exciting fabbers of the future
will use more advanced techniques, such as formative and accretive (cf.
biological) fabrication. There's a discussion of some of these ideas in my
Portugal paper from a couple of years ago at
http://www.ennex.com/publish/199707-MB-OriginDirection.sht. I also talked
there about making 1-D and 2-D structures, such as fur, eye lashes, and
garments, which are beyond today's fabbers to do.

Best regards,
Marshall Burns
President, Ennex Corporation

Marshall@Ennex.com