What's in a name........?

From: Bob Cratchit (bob_cratchit@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Nov 15 2000 - 13:07:41 EET

Halo rpml er's

I have been an impartial observer of the so-called rapid prototyping world
for a couple of years and I am a little confused about the generic names
that are given to the group of technologies - there doesn't seem to be any
consistency? If the machines are to gain exceptence in the wider world
(which I guess that they will?), is it not best to focus on a particular
name for the group otherwise people will confused. I know I am.

Just as an example - does anyone refer to these machines as 'fabbers' apart
from Marshall Burns? (no offence intended, Mr Burns!) It seems to me that
most people call them 'rapid prototyping machines' or '3D printers' -
however, isn't 'rapid prototyping' becoming more of a misnomer as the
machines are increasingly used for process other than mere prototyping?

I guess that this may have discussed before, so apologies in advance.
Regards
Bob