Web forum on the 'Future of RP'

From: Ian Gibson (igibson@hkucc.hku.hk)
Date: Thu Oct 26 2000 - 04:21:37 EEST

Dear rp-ml

I am planning to run another web forum on the 'Future of RP', similar to
that run a couple of years ago. I'm currently looking for
convenors/chairpersons to run each subject area.

A convenor is responsible for:-
 - writing and initial position paper. This does not have to be very long.
It should aim to pose questions relating to the subject area and/or present
an opinion that may be debated in some way.
- monitor web traffic on the subject area, answering any queries and
continuing any discussion
- promote discussion by encouraging appropriate people to log into the site
and present opinions
- writing a summary paper at the end of the discussion period (normally
about 2 months) for publication in the RP Journal

Previously, there were groups discussing:-

colour RP
RP in art
health and safety
the RP wish list
rapid tooling
RP standards
biomodelling

a number of these areas have developed considerably since the last
discussion. It would be nice to continue at least some of them. However,
there are also some new areas which I think would be worth discussing. e.g.:-

multiple material systems
integrated systems (i.e. RP with robotics, CNC, etc.)
CAD and virtual prototyping
GARPA
Trends in RP (e.g. the 'chasm', the 'need for speed')
turnkey system solutions
etc.

If you would like to convene a discussion area, please get in touch with
me. We are looking at trying to run the discussion from Jauary next year.

Regards

IG

Dr. Ian Gibson
Associate Professor
Dept. Mechanical Engineering
The University of Hong Kong
tel: +852 28597901
fax: +852 28585415
email: igibson@hkucc.hku.hk

You can't have everything. Where would you put it?