RE: Scanning software

From: Chris Lawrie (cl@delcam.com)
Date: Tue Oct 24 2000 - 14:23:57 EEST

Dear All
This software, which was born in the civil engineering world for RE'ing
buildings from multiple digital snaps, has moved on leaps and bounds. If you
ask TCT (magazine) for the proceedings of the latest TCT conference (Cardiff
, Wales) you will find a nice case study where Westland Helicopters are
using this to good effect on large assemblies.
The systems I have seen and used to-date rely upon feature recognition in
greyscale images and the manual 'placing' of basics (planes, cylinders,
boxes, spheres, etc) to 'represent' 3D forms. Also by having the value of
known entities (such as spheres) in an image does not mean that all other
entities in the image are exactly represented (a bit like trying to measure
a cantilever where 0.1mm movement at one end equates to 10mm at the other).
For this reason I am yet to be convinced of the quoted accuracies (sub 1mm)
due to the subjective nature of this process, but this technology has it's
uses for ships, large legacy aircraft, buildings, landscape,
oil-rigs...etc...etc. Who knows, it may continue to develop rapidly
alongside digital camera resolution.
This technology has no place yet in our markets (Delcam's CopyCAD), where
products from toys to mobile phones to shoes to car components to aircraft
components require high quality processes which are quantifiable (XYZ
coordinate data) and accurate (surface fit to sub 0.1mm).

Chris Lawrie Product Marketing Manager
Delcam Plc Email cl@delcam.com
Talbot Way tel +44 121 766 5544
Small Heath fax +44 121 766 5511