RE: SLA part tinting

From: Deak, Steve (sdeak@hasbro.com)
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 19:05:29 EEST

1 package of RIT dye per US Gallon of water.

The process will accelerate the warmer the dye solution. I like 105-115
degrees F. Immerse the parts in the solution. Color depends on time in the
solution and temperature, so keep track of both.

Also, for uniform coloration, do not allow the parts to sit in the solution.
Gently agitate them, keeping the parts from settling.

Bead blast parts first to allow the dye to adhere to the surface. Blow dry
afterwards. If you need some level of clarity after the dye-job, spray the
parts with clear lacquer. This will return the parts to a tinted, somewhat
clear color.

Just remember, the color you get depends on the base color you start with.
If your SL parts are amber or brown, the tint will be different than those
using near-white materials.

Steve Deak
Mgr.-Rapid Prototyping e-mail: sdeak@hasbro.com
Hasbro, Inc. voice: (+1) 513-579-3270
615 Elsinore Place fax: (+1) 513-579-3250
Cincinnati, OH 45202 USA Making The World Smile TM