3D's New supports the best of both worlds...

From: KDenton@williams-int.com
Date: Thu Oct 19 2000 - 20:57:36 EEST

Hello all,

For those of you wrestling with these monster supports (the ones left on the
tray) I think I've discovered some news that will make your life a lot
simpler.

I cured all of our 500 platforms (we have 7 of them) in the light box for a
couple of hours and them placed them in an oven over night at 500 degrees.
The next morning they were removed and then grit blasted to remove all of
the burned resin. We tried grit blasting without the over night in the over
thing but the support residue proved to be to much for our basting unit
(which is a basting unit on steroids). Any way once the grit blasting was
complete we cleared any remaining resin by hand (was not much) wiped the
platforms down and put them back in use.

The best discovery was how to avoid the build-up to begin with: Move your
part so the bottom surface is at or above 0.5". Why this works I'm not sure
but I've completed about 20 builds using this technique and it has worked.
The supports break off the platform at the anchor point and then they are
removed from the part!

I hope this helps you and if you have any questions let me know.

Karl Denton

By the way for those of you in Europe and Asia there will be a broadcast on
the Technology Channel about RP and ToyBuilders.com. I am not sure of the
air date but I do know that filming started today and I supplied a couple of
items for them to show. I also had a phone interview with a Danish radio
station on the same topic and that should also be airing soon. The article
at RedHerring.com rocketed the number of hits for ToyBuilders.com over a
million for October already and we have been contacted by ABC News, a German
magazine, and a Country and Western radio station in Dayton Ohio for more
interviews. I must say I never expected the presses response to
ToyBuilders.com and RP. Based on the type of stuff we are being asked to
build (I'll list some of it on the web soon) we have tapped into the
imagination of not only kids but parents as well and we have yet to reach
our intended audience "the general public"!