RP-Design Business Software ?

From: Tony Parker (tony@3dresource.com)
Date: Mon Oct 16 2000 - 23:01:27 EEST

Dear List:

For those of you whose business is RP Parts/Tooling AND Product
Development/Design, have you been able to find an "off-the-shelf" software
solution that helps automate quoting, order-entry, job-routing/tracking, and
accounting? I have evaluted products that are very good at what they do for
manufacturing/job-shops, but don't quite meet the needs for our business.

Currently, we have authored our own MS Access program which automates
quoting of our SLS, 3D Printing, and Urethane Casting jobs based on physical
criteria of the part(s). However, it does not link directly into our
accounting program (Peachtree Accounting) for which we have to re-enter the
order to produce packing slips, invoice, etc. I have also authored another
MS Access program to track employee hours on various design jobs for which
we bill an hourly rate. Before I spend vast amounts of time into
integrating these modules (and I am NO software engineer!), I wanted to ask
if there is a very flexible package available that I can customize to our
business, rather than alter our current processes to fit some "canned"
software package.

More specifically, I am interested in hearing from those RP/Design firms
that employ less than 30 people. Thanks in advance to your responses.
Also, memory doesn't serve me any RECENT discussion on this topic, but I
will be checking the archives. My apologies if this is re-hashing old news.

Regards,

Tony Parker
Creative Technical Solutions, llc.
tony@3dresource.com