Re: Apologies

From: Greg Pettengill (greg_p@indirect.com)
Date: Wed Oct 04 2000 - 13:21:58 EEST

bas.cornelissen@philips.com wrote:

> (SNIP)
> The problem is the difference between the applications of the FDM and SLS process. They aren't clear to me (and maybe to some other rp-ml members as well?).

Hi Bas,
The most significant difference between these processes that I see is their costs.
SLS is on the order of at least 5 times as expensive as FDM!

> The only advantage I found was that FDM allows multiple colors and ABS. The advantage of SLS
> seems to be the wide range of materials and the possibility to sinter metals (which isn't done much).

Aaaah, I think you should note that DTM's "sintered metals" are not "true" sintered metals as you
would get from a high power laser fusion system.

Best Regards
Greg Pettengill
http://www.indirect.com/user/greg_p/