CAM-packages which can import and handle STL-files for NC-toolpath calculationl

From: Brett Hyder (hyder@geomagic.com)
Date: Sat Sep 30 2000 - 00:18:13 EEST

Keep in mind that that not all CAM packages can handle the INPUT of STL or
polygonal data preferring IGS or STEP surface/solid models. However, most
(if not all) actually break down these surface files into a faceted (similar
to STL or Poly) for their tool path calculation. This is true whether you
see it displayed on the screen or not. It is typically done in the
background. This is where the parameters for "tolerance" come into play.
They are typically chordal deviation.

That being said, there is no reason why you could not use stl or polygonal
models to drive manufacturing and CNC work. The only concern is whether the
file was written with the proper resolution for your particular needs.

~Brett

Brett M. Hyder
Solutions Implementation Manager
Raindrop Geomagic, Inc.