RE: Reliability of a ZCORP 3D-printer

From: Pike, Jim (Jim.Pike@sturm.sulzerpumps.com)
Date: Fri Sep 29 2000 - 18:49:44 EEST

Jan,

         We have utilized the Z-Corp 3D printer for more that a year now with
very high reliability. My measurement (statement) is based on the uptime of
the machine. At times we have relentlessly ran the machine without problems.
The machine can make parts 24 hrs a day - the problems is: the machine has
never taken 24hrs to build a part and it is difficult to keep up with the
machine especially if you build lots of parts. For our first year, we have
had greater than 45% return on investment with implementation of this
machine!

        Like most machine manufacturers, you can purchase an annual
maintenance contract. I believe Z-Corp's contract is 6k! Materials costs
depend on the type of builds you prefer. The Z-Corp material costs (IMHO) is
cheaper than most other RP technologies. Actual material usage costs can
also vary depending on the recycling of powder.

Hope this helps!!

Jim Pike
Sturm Inc.
Product Development