CAD / CAM 1 (was Re: STL settings in Rhino for MM2 output.)

From: Stanley Lechtzin (stanley@home.com)
Date: Fri Sep 29 2000 - 06:25:40 EEST

At 10:25 PM 9/28/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Listers:
>Any one out there using Rhino to design parts for Sanders MM2 output?
>I not fluent in Rhino. But, I have two customers who are trying to have us
>build their very first RP parts using Rhino They are also "newbie" Rhino
>users. Problem is, the STL files are shot full of errors and won't build
>properly.
>Anyone have some suggestions on how to get these people points in the right
>direction?
>Paul Burr
>B&D Sales Corp.
>Cranston, RI
>401-781-4810

Hello Paul -

  We offer an online Rhino for jewelers. See below:

Introduction to CAD/CAM I

This online course is based on the use of Rhinocerous® 3-D NURBS modeling
software for the Windows operating system. It is directed to jewelers,
product designers and sculptors who wish to create solids models and
tangible objects via STL file export to rapid prototyping systems.

Students will need access to a Rhino workstation which consists of:
    * A Pentium II, 300MHz (or faster) PC computer running the Windows 98
(or newer) operating system.
    * A video display capable of a minimum 1024 x 768 x 32bit color.
    * Rhino Version 1.1 or higher
    * An Internet connection and an email account.
Matriculated Tyler School of Art students who register for this course and
pay their lab fee will have access to all of the course requirements, both
hardware and software, in our PC CAD Lab (Tyler room 102)

Course Objectives

You will learn how to:
    * Customize your modeling environment.
    * Create basic graphic objects-lines, circles, arcs, curves, solids,
and surfaces.
    * Draw with precision using coordinate input and object snaps.
    * Modify objects with edit commands.
    * Display any portion of the model.
    * Import and merge models.
    * Output models to different file formats.
    * Create, test and verify solid models in STL file format for
production of rapid prototypes.
    * Render models.

----------
Note: A password is required to access all of the course lessons and exercises.

Students who register for this course will be assigned a password when they
contact Prof. Stanley Lechtzin via email at: stanley@home.com. Just click
these links as you do not need a password to see the
<http://oll.temple.edu/crafts233_public>Home Page,
<http://oll.temple.edu/crafts233_public/syllabus.htm>Course Syllabus,
<http://oll.temple.edu/crafts233_public/contents/contents.htm>Course
Contents and a <http://oll.temple.edu/crafts233_public/SampleEx.htm>sample