RE: hobbiest rp machine?

From: Halford, Ben (ben.halford@pera.com)
Date: Sun Sep 24 2000 - 15:10:20 EEST

Adrian
You might be able to find some software that 'prints' individual regular
slices on a conventional 2D printer. You could laminate each picture onto
card (or plastic) to thicken the layers and use a pair of scissors / hot
wire etc to remove the unwanted boundaries. To save time you might use
sticky back media much like the JP System 5 or Kira machines to aid
stacking, and modify the original STL file to include features such as
pillars for post assembly.

Alternatively if you are prepared to alter the arrangement of an old dot
matrix printer such that instead of the paper moving the 'y' axis moves over
the media then it would be possible to work with heavier gauge material
(i.e. flat), or possibly fit a resin nozzle or knife. Primitive and you'd
have to watch the patent situation if you were to resell but a good approach
if your limited to $200.

Regards
Ben

Ben Halford