Re: Inexpensive alternative to other RP processes???

From: Delft Spline Systems (info@spline.nl)
Date: Thu Sep 14 2000 - 12:06:38 EEST

Hi List,

As regular readers of the list can image I just cannot resist to mail
a reaction: this article does exactly describe the way of RP that we
are promoting for years, with all its advantages.
The fact that the idea is presented as being new leads to the
conclusion that we should do more (shameless) self-promotion.

The only detail is of course that these guys failed to find the correct
software: In addition to the machine they spent some 10,000 dollars
on software that is aimed at toolmaking, not at prototyping. Way too
expansive for this light machine, and far more complex than needed
(toolmakers want to be able to adjust any detail, so Mastercam offers
a confusing wealth of options).
The perfect alternative is of course the DeskProto 3D CAM software,
available for only 1,150 dollars (the high dollar rate is helping here).
DeskProto is aimed at RP: imports STL files and features a user
interface aimed at designers without CAM experience. Still all
options needed are present: see the free downloadable trail version
at www.deskproto.com

Best Regards,

Lex Lennings.

At 10:59 PM 09/13/2000 -0500, Glenn Whiteside wrote:
>Anybody tried this equipment (gantry router) as an inexpensive alternative
>to other RP options and if so, how did it work out for them?
>Check out the article below or at:
>http://www.rapidproducts.net/Sept00/gantry900.html
>An industrial design firm used out-of-the-box thinking and found a way to
>produce prototypes at about half the cost of conventional SLA and CNC
>methods.
>The price was less than $19,000 and the machine operated from
>Mastercam CNC programming software (CNC Software, Tolland, CT).
>Although
>originally designed for metal working, Mastercam is also well suited for
>industrial design models because of its ability to generate the most complex
>contours with little programming effort. Mastercam includes IGES, DXF, and
>CADL converters so that geometry can be uploaded from many CAD systems,
>including Anderson Design's Pro/ENGINEER.

Delft Spline Systems, The Netherlands.
We offer DeskProto: affordable Rapid Prototyping using CNC milling.

mailto:info@spline.nl --- website: http://www.deskproto.com