RE: LOM 2030 for sale

From: Glen Young (Glen.Young@lakelandmold.com)
Date: Wed Aug 30 2000 - 15:11:37 EEST

Charles,

I cannot answer for anyone but myself, unfortunately one of our largest customers had a bad experience using an LOM model we built for them that was used to make an aluminum casting. They made it policy to eliminate LOM models all together, this also left a bad taste in people's mouths here too, we became afraid to quote LOM models to other customers as well. It's all a shame, since our machine was "tuned up" to build models even more precise than it did when we originally purchased it. Of all the 2030 machines we've seen, this one is probably the most stable.

The other reason we opt to use different methods to make models is their relative life expectancy. While LOM models are succeptable to dimensional breakdown from humidity, we make models now with 3 and 5 axis machines that are much more stable. I realize Helisys has done some work on "sealing" models, but this was announced after the incident we had.

The lead time and cost are also relatively close to an LOM model, especially when you consider the accuracy and strength of a model made from modelling board or wood. We can also machine models up to 5' x 10' x 4', compared to the much smaller envelope on the LOM. We build relatively large models, many for castings producing molds for the recreational marine industry. This would be quite time consuming on an LOM, although it does lend itself quite nicely to difficult "pieces" on models, logos, and other small features.

Hope this helps,

Glen Young
CNC Engineer
Lakeland Mold Company
1021 Madison Street
Brainerd, MN 56401
(218) 824-3133

>>> "Charles Overy" <cwho@mountainmax.net> 08/29/00 05:05PM >>>
Hi all,

Just a question, it seems that there are always a lot of people are selling
Sanders and Helisys machines.
Any thoughts on why? A resonable analysis of the used equipment market
might help support these system prices. (or bring them down!)

Thanks

Charles