Re: Using LCD or DLP (by Texas Instumenta) for RP

From: EdGrenda@aol.com
Date: Mon Jul 31 2000 - 16:39:27 EEST

Dear Ng Hon Pun:

There are a number of US patents in this area. The earliest is probably from
Texas Instruments itself, describing the use of a DLP for stereolithography.
This goes back 7 or 8 years by now, I'd guess. There are also patents from
inventor Efrem Fudim and/or assigned to his company LIght Sculpting, which
describe a form of stereolithography using LCD's and other means of gating
light in parallel. In general, all patents have been written such that they
cover visible, UV and other wavelengths.

You can uncover considerable other work, as well, although I am not familiar
with the Denken or Autostrade patent status. These latter companies probably
don't have US patents, but very likely have Japanese or EPO patents issued or
pending.

You can search all the US material on our web site, and it links to full text
sources from the US PTO and IBM sites.

 <A HREF="http://home.att.net/~castleisland/">Worldwide Guide to Rapid
Prototyping Resources</A>

You should also do a literature search before you invest much time on this.
At this stage of the development of RP, there's really a lot to explore
before you begin investing your time and effort.

Have fun!
Ed

Ed Grenda
Castle Island Co.