Re: New RP machine Released Today

From: Tom Richards (thoms@naisp.net)
Date: Mon Jul 17 2000 - 04:39:26 EEST

Questions:
1) min slice thickness?
2) Cu in/hour of build plus support?
3) build material of construction?
4) resolution? (radius of intersectiuons of planes)
5) surface finish of upward facing? downward facing?
6) support material? How removed?
7) build envelope?
8) price?

Tom Richards, Metallurgist

At 12:52 PM 7/14/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Dear List:
>As maybe many of you have seen, today, Stratsys has released a new machine
called the Prodigy. They dub it as a "Personal Modeler" (see attached
announcement below).

>My company, Rapid Design Technologies is a Reseller of this equipment and
would like to take this opportunity to introduce it to the rp-ml. If there
is anyone interested in finding more info about the machine - or if you
would like to see a sample part off the machine, please contact me. We will
be offering a free part off your STL file if your company is looking to
purchase a Personal Modeler (please, no large parts!).

>You can send your stl files by just attaching them to my email.
>
>Greg Bates
>gbates@rapid-design.com
>Rapid Design Technologies
>Ph: 1-800-328-1323

>For Immediate Release
>July 14, 2000
>

>STRATASYS INTRODUCES OFFICE MODELING
>WITH NEW PRODIGY™ SYSTEM
>
>New Catalyst™ software simplifies ABS part builds
>
>Minneapolis, July 14 — Stratasys introduced today, Prodigy, the rapid
prototyping industry’s first office modeling system. Office modeling
combines the ease, speed and simplicity of 3D printing with the major
benefit of part durability. Now, for the price of a traditional 3D printer,
designers can test form, fit, and function with durable ABS parts produced
within a networked office environment.

>Prodigy is based on the company’s core technology, the patented Fused
Deposition Modeling (FDMÒ ) process. Numerous innovations from a previously
announced technology acquisition were incorporated into the design,
including a unique X-Y-Z motion control. Prodigy is driven by Catalyst, a
powerful new front-end processing software. A simple "drag and drop"
function brings STL files into Catalyst for automatic processing. Running on
Windows NT, Catalyst quickly prepares the file for building on Prodigy.
Users may select Fine, Standard, or Draft layer thicknesses based on their
needs for feature detail and surface smoothness.

>"Prodigy was developed to fill the void between 3D printing and precision
prototyping from both a performance and price standpoint," said Prodigy’s
product manager, Mary Stanley. "Because ABS models are strong, parts can be
finished, assembled, tested, and even cast. And designers can now affordably
produce parts when they need and want them – from their office."

>Minimal user input is required to operate Prodigy. A front display panel
prompts the user through a few simple steps to begin building a part.
Material cartridges containing ABS model and support material are
automatically loaded into the system for quick, simple, and reliable
material loading. Ideally suited for the office environment, Prodigy is
quiet, safe, and compact. No special venting is required for the system and
all materials are non-toxic. Prodigy measures 34 x 27 x 41 inches (864 x 686
x 1041 mm), has a build envelope of 8 x 8 x 12 inches (203 x 203 x 305 mm)
and weighs 282 pounds (128 kg).

>Catalyst is a simple yet powerful tool to build models and manage workflow.
To save time, users have the option to be notified via e-mail or pager when
a part is complete. For efficiency, multiple parts may be "packed," so they
can be built simultaneously. And detailed system and part status information
is available at the user workstation along with a build log history which
includes material usage per build.

>With the introduction of Prodigy, Stratasys continues its leadership
efforts to bring low-cost 3D printing, office modeling, and prototyping
solutions to rapid prototyping users worldwide. Stratasys offers a full line
of systems with a variety of features to suit every user’s needs and budget.
For the past three years, Stratasys shipped more total RP systems than any
other manufacturer. Only Stratasys offers ABS as a modeling material for its
RP systems.

> [...]
can be
>built simultaneously. And detailed system and part status information is
>available at the user workstation along with a build log history which
includes
>material usage per build. </P>
><P>With the introduction of Prodigy, Stratasys continues its leadership
efforts
>to bring low-cost 3D printing, office modeling, and prototyping solutions to
>rapid prototyping users worldwide. Stratasys offers a full line of systems
with
>a variety of features to suit every user’s needs and budget. For the past
three
>years, Stratasys shipped more total RP systems than any other manufacturer.
Only
>Stratasys offers ABS as a modeling material for its RP
>systems.</P></FONT></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

Tom Richards, Metallurgist