RE: SLS powder level problem

From: Yang Shoufeng (Dr) (MSFYang@ntu.edu.sg)
Date: Wed Jul 12 2000 - 04:33:46 EEST

Dear Chris, Josh, Mitchell and jialin
Thank you very much. Your reply is very helpful. The flowability of original
powder is quiet good. At temperature of part bed below about 100 degree,
powder levelling is perfect (but warpage is serious when sinter it by laser
because the low part bed temperature). At a higher temperature, powder
clumps and can't level. After I decreased the temperature, the powder can
level again. However, after heat and sieve the powder for several times to
find out the optimal part bed temperature 'sinter window', I found that the
powder can not be leveled even at room temperature. I am not sure if they
add flow enhancing materials in the original powder. If they do, maybe the
flow enhancing material has gone after several heating? I observed the
powder by SEM, no obvious change occured in shape between original powder
and recycle one. The sphericity of the two powders are also very good and
almost near 1. So it must be something changed at the powder surface, as you
said, the surface energy, or static. Then is there any instrument or method
to prove it?

I haven't measure the powder size distribution yet and will do it later. The
powder is as-received from a Japanese Co. We can not tailor the
distribution. :(

We want to develop PE/HA object directly at SLS as biocompatible implant. So
it's better not to add any additive, especially non-biocompatible, in the
powder.

One more question, why DTM use roller but not a doctor-blade? because
anti-rotation roller can compress the powder? From my observation, I think
the roller rotation cause clump of powder.

anyway, thank you very much for your nice reply, they are very helpful and
valuable to our work! I will post my progress later in the list.

Yours sincerely

Dr. YANG Shoufeng

Design Research Center
School of Mechanical & Production Engineering
Nanyang Technological University
Singapore, 639798

Tel: 65-7905332
Fax: 65-7924062 (local) 65-7911859 (oversea)