Re: Examples of rapid manufacturing

From: Tom Richards (tomr@aicasting.com)
Date: Wed Jun 28 2000 - 11:49:32 EEST

We investment cast many parts from RP patterns which are used full net or
with minimal machining. It's cost and time effective for one set or a few
sets of parts. The risk is mainly in the scaling factors chosen. Usually we
are successful. Tolerances met are usually twice investment casting which
are +/- 0.005 inch/inch, or better.

For larger quantities, I believe that RP Tooling for injection molding of
plastics or waxes for investment casting based on final CNC machined
investment cast mold cavity inserts in conventional mold alloys from RP
patterns will prove the way to go for rapidity, accuracy, speed, long life
and economy.