Re: illuminating material

From: pmcguire@mmm.com
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 00:24:33 EEST

Chris,

3M made (makes) such a material. It was used in residential and commercial
windows as a means of providing privacy. The material was a liquid crystal based
polymeric film. when a bias voltage was applied, the film was transparent. When
removed, the film became opaque, a sort of milky white color. We can produce the
material in large formats as you might expect a picture window would require. I
believe the power supply required to drive the film as about 30 volts.

I am somewhat unceertain of the specifics of the material as I had only a
tangential association with it. If this is what your looking for, I'll find the
correct contact in 3M for you.

     Pat McGuire
     3M Company